unfiltered jesus pt 7
We are often looking at Jesus through filters we have created. The invitation is to come and see the real Jesus. We may be following a man who we don’t really know, and a generation may be walking away from following a man who doesn’t really exist. The picture we have of Jesus may be an Instagram Jesus. In other words, what we want Jesus to look like and what we want Him to be. The truth is Jesus is a disruptive force. The unfiltered Jesus has the power to disrupt your life in the best possible way. Remember Jesus came to destroy the walls that separate us and to seek and save the lost. Jesus’ love can tear down any wall. This week we want to consider how Jesus turned the idea of greatness upside down.
1. For what would you like to be remembered? What will it require of you for you to be remembered in that way? How does the world define greatness as it relates to individuals and churches?
2. James and John had a concept of greatness. Discuss how Jesus turned their idea of greatness upside down. Read Mark 10:42-44. If you make status your goal who is it really for and why?
3. Discuss the different emotions that you think might have been in the upper room the night of the Last Supper. (From the perspective of the disciples and the perspective of Jesus) John 13:3-15
4. Read Mark 10:45. Jesus is saying that when we are in a place of service and humility, we are in the right place. Discuss what it means to create change from the bottom up.
5. Share ways in which you can prioritize the marginalized and discontented in your life.
6. What are some ways Pastor Chris said you could find your best life by giving your life away?