bless this home part 2
No one starts off their marriage or parenting journey hoping to be a train wreck. In fact, for most we spend time, resources, and energy preparing to have a happy home. Unfortunately, it doesn’t usually go as expected and the picture we had of the perfect home isn’t usually the way it plays out. In our series Bless this Home we are examining what Jesus said about the source of a life that is blessed. His teaching has the potential to change our lives and our homes.
1. Pastor Chris talked about all the things we do to keep our families safe. Are you an overprotective parent/grandparent/relative? What are some of the things you do that others might laugh at or think are over the top?
2. Chris said, “We would never allow a lion to be loose in our home. But many times, we let a lion run freely in our hearts.” How have you seen this statement ring true in your life over the years? Read 1 Samuel 16:7. Why do you think we naturally focus on the outside so much?
3. Read Jeremiah 17:9 and Proverbs 4:23 as a group. What do these verses tell us about the condition of our heart and its importance in our life?
4. In Matthew 5:8, Jesus says, “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.” Jesus’ brother, James, says “A double minded man is unstable in all his ways” (James 1:8). How do these verses relate with each other? How do these truths affect our families?
5. “Transparency is more impactful than perfection.” How does this statement play out as we seek to create a culture of purity in our families?
6. God’s Word is vital in the process of creating a culture of purity in our life and families. What is one practical way you can/are giving God’s Word a place of influence in your life/family?
Jesus death and resurrection provide the power we need to walk in purity towards the purpose God has for our life and family.